WHAT IS FLEXIBILITY? As a charter system, our GO Teams are afforded the flexibility to waive certain rules, laws, regulations and policies to employ innovative academic or organizational strategies and solutions. Flexibility requests must support each school’s strategic plan with the ultimate goal of boosting student achievement.
TYPES OF FLEXIBILITY:
- School-Based Solutions (SBS): Allows GO Teams to explore new concepts as ways of addressing areas of concern or need. SBS MUST support the school’s strategic plan, must be intended to improve student achievement and all GO Team members must complete training before beginning the SBS process.
- Principal Operational Flexibility (POF): Similar to SBS in that principals have to submit requests for flexibility, but it also requires approval from the district before implementing flexibility. POF MUST support an organizational concern that would improve day to day effectiveness.
- District-Wide Flexibilities: Allows the District the opportunity to explore initiatives that would enhance the educational experience, address specific needs or systematize a reoccurring school-level flexibility request.
Presentation on Maximizing the Use of Charter Flexibility
- Waiving school day requirements to increase professional development days
- New courses (ex: blended learning peer leadership course for 11th grade)
- Modification of TAG delivery
- Modification of Gifted endorsement formats
- Creating a coding course that replaces the foreign language
- Waiver of HS PE for students competing in band/sports
- Large lecture classes for seniors to prepare for college
- Accelerated cohort-style completion of courses
- Extending internship program to 10th graders
- Open campus
- Create new technology course to prepare for HS STEM program
WHY FLEXIBILITY IS IMPORTANT: One of the critical requirements of the academic program is responsiveness to the significant and diverse needs of students throughout APS. Disparities in performance and growth within APS reinforce the complexities of this challenge and highlight the need for academic programming that is tailored to the specific students served at each school. Flexibility empowers educators to align resources and strategies to best fit the need of every student. Because of APS’ Charter System status, our schools can now adopt solutions that meet their specific needs.
HOW IT WORKS: